Two valuation reports, 1847 and 1858
In 1847 the propery was referred to as Kemnal Manor Estate. The annual value was £320.
“The property comprises a convenient and substantial residence, with good offices, in good repair. The present lessee has expended a considerable sum in decorative repairs. The out-offices comprise stabling for six horses, double coach house, etc. These buildings are slightly built of timber and tile.
The farm buildings comprise a large barn, stabling for cart-horses, granary and cart shed, with timber and pan-tile. There is a good garden which has wall on one side only.
The Greenwich railway has greatly added to the facilities of reaching this district; by means of this line the Merchants can reach London in about three-quarters of an hour. This has considerable added to the value of property in this locality. We cannot ascertain that there are any manorial rights…..The farmland is well cultivated……The timber is generally young and growing…..The lessee is now creating a conservatory.
We are of the opinion, taking into consideration the eligibility of the situation for the Residence of a London Merchant of respectability…..that the annual value is £320.”
By May 1858, it was referred to as Kemnal Park, with an annual value of £400, and a capital value of £12,000.
“I have surveyed the Estate of Kemnal Park, held by Mr. Slade…
It comprises a very convenient and substantial residence in good repair, containing Dining, Drawing, and Breakfast rooms, and a small Library, with suitable servants’ office and very good Bedroom accommodation. There are two conservatories communicating with the Breakfast room, and extensive Pleasure Grounds. The Out Offices comprise Capital Stabling, Coach house, kennels, Coachman’s Lodge, a large range of Farm buildings and Bailiff’s House, all substantially built, but placed a little too near the Residence. Detached is the Gardener’s Cottage, which is of an ornamental character and an excellent walled garden…..The Residence is approached from the Turnpike and by a neat Lodge and Carriage Drive…..The acreage of the whole Estate is 133 acres.
The Lessee has thrown down the fences, and laid nearly the whole of the land down to Pasture, thus giving it a Park-like appearance.”