Kenneth Bilbrough, who found the house for his brother Harold, headed up a successful shipowner and marine insurance broker business founded by their father. Arthur had started the business in 1862. It was later to be named A. Bilbrough & Co Ltd, which it still is today. Arthur had lived at Camden Court (where Camden Close was built after his death in 1925), and Kenneth and his family had lived at Elmstead Grange (now Babington House School).
Harold (left, with his father and brother) was born in 1867, and after attending school at Winchester, had taken a very different career and entered the church. He was ordained at Durham. He was appointed Canon of Durham in 1901, sub-dean of Liverpool in 1910 and Canon of Liverpool in 1911. He was consecrated Bishop of Dover in 1916, and Bishop of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1927, where he remained for fourteen years.
He retired on 1 July 1941 at the age of 74, Winston Churchill having sought the approval of the King for his retirement, after which he moved back to Chislehurst, where his brother had puchased Nizels for him.
Harold died in November 1950, but is not buried in St Nicholas churchyard. His body is likely to have been returned to the Cathedral at Newcastle.